Friday 23 September 2016

Worried about campus placements? (Stop worrying and do what I tell you to do)

Second placements session - OIL process
Its almost time for the placements. And CAT is around in December too.. which means its high time that the bad-ass final year Junta starts preparing full throttle because I am sure that a lot of you guys would be lazing around fed up with the same aptitude questions, puzzles and hoping that everything will be fine and you'll manage. Believe me not a good strategy!

If you need just one reason to work hard for placements its -

“to be able to enjoy your final semester without having to worry about your future. Last semester enjoy karna aapka adhikaar hai” 

There’s still time to catch up before its too late. So the process goes like this-
  • There are (hopefully) a lot of aptitude tests within a short span of time. Just getting warmed up.
  • Then short-lists for different companies are published with almost the same names. (People who prepare well for CAT.)
  • If you get short-listed, there’s a group discussion or in rare cases a group activity. 
  • Finally there are two-three rounds of interviews. This process sometimes extends till late.

At its worse, Rivigo called for resumes at around 2:30 AM in the night (my application was rejected even though I reached at 3:45AM and the GDs hadn’t started yet, I ran all the way from Jawahar Bhawan to the placements complex in December’s cold at 3:30 AM damn!)...

Next morning, there was Runnr’s aptitude test at 6 AM and Innoplexus’s group discussion lined up for the later part of day. I cleared the GD, the interview process started at 4 PM and went on till morning 5 AM next day.

With an awesome hiring process of ZS Associates at 10 AM same day - an abstract GD with a good case exercise. Got through the GD again. Screwed the Data Interpretation because I was tired and sleepy and a little less equipped to deal with the DI!

Took a break. Crashed at the CCD with my best friends and burnt a lot of their cash (outside the campus because the campus CCD opened in January next year). Removed all the startups from my application list (Not a smart move) and slept for the day.


I was never ready for the whole placement process. Never talked to any senior about it. Believed the myths and didn't care. Did not know what to expect. Therefore, I want you to be prepared, to ask the right questions from the right people -


Aptitude Tests
  1. Would I be able to clear the aptitude short-lists?

    This is where 95% junta gets filtered. If 800 people apply which do apply... to good companies, only 40 people get short-listed for the interview. This statistic might scare you but believe me, its possible to get into top 40 if you practice well. The odds improve after 2nd or 3rd day because a lot of people get into coding and stuff. But this is the gateway.

    So, get off the comfortable bed and practice rigorously. And keep a track of time because most of the tests need quick answers. “Remember you only need 1 seat in the short-list whatever be the odds.” Just focus on giving your best.

  2. Where do I practice from?

    I had subscription to TIME’s website. Gave a few 3 hour tests. Good for practice. But there can be multiple resources here. Ask your seniors. But really get really really good at aptitude questions.
Need not worry much about other things at the moment, you can skip to Case studies and guesstimates..


Group Discussions

For curious people, after clearing aptitude you'll be shortlisted for the GDs -
Image result for group discussion
A true leader takes his team through the maze of success
Source: Internet

  1. Is it difficult to clear group discussions?


      I cleared all my GDs and believe me I had never read a newspaper till then, didn’t have the  best points or anything. I had a simple plan :
    • Made sure I understood the topic. If I didn’t, I’d ask.
    • Understand the rules of the GD as explained by the company’s HR. Time keeping is very very important. I earned brownie points here.
    • Since you understand the problem, just try to give/follow a basic flow to the discussion, for example :

      Every topic had a problem that needed to be defined and discussed, causes of the problem, possible solutions and finally a conclusion. I made sure that there was a structured discussion. People started throwing points, I would politely ask them that their point can be discussed for the solutions part, lets first focus on defining the problem and its causes. Its  a lot of fun, when people do follow you when you are right.

    •  Next, I would keep time. So, whenever I wanted an entry in the discussion, I would tell people that 5 minutes have passed and I suggest that we move on to the solutions part because we also need to reach a conclusion. Till now, the problem is “blah blah blah”, the causes as “badbad badbad badbad” etc... and I propose, "english english english english"

      I wouldn’t impose but people usually agree with you if you are honestly helping the group moving forward with the discussion.

    • Most importantly I would listen. People give good points. I would ask questions to understand and validate the points people said. Then, during the process.. common sense would help me.
Case Interviews
Image result for 3 idiots check results
It will be tough but you'll be shortlisted !

Now, that you are short-listed for an interview -
  1. Do I understand the role I am applying for? Can I talk to someone who’s working in the company doing the same job?

    This is very important. I almost made a marketing pitch to an IT consultant role for RBS. Research the profile. Understand the role. And prepare stories around how what you have done, would help you do well in this role.

  2. Do I have a well practised "introduce yourself" pitch"?
    I was against this part. Preparing my answers beforehand. Still don’t do it. But my good friend and ex-roommate forced me into learning a pitch he wrote for me. I ain’t lying.. As soon as the interviewer asked me to introduce myself, I knew what to say to make a good impression and where to direct the interview. It all started on a good note.

    So I suggest you do it. And more importantly, it shows that you are prepared. For the later part, just remember stories don’t over-practice. Be natural. But learn the introduce yourself pitch points.

  3. CASE STUDIES AND GUESSTIMATES??




     If you practice these, believe me you’ll easily differentiate yourself from others. So when you are not solving aptitude, do case studies and guesstimates. Do it with your friends, with strangers online, mock cases, placement preparation agencies...wherever you can find them. They are very important for non-coding roles. You nail this, you are selected.

    I can’t tell you how to prepare for guesstimates, for case studies - a good starting point is VICTOR CHENG’s youtube videos. But don’t neglect cases and guesstimates.

  4. After you get short-listed discuss the most common puzzles that are asked. I don’t know the source but there are good sources for that too.
I think its too long already.

At this moment all you need to worry about is aptitude and a little bit of case study and guesstimates.. Ask me, if you want any further clarifications. These are the most basic preparation points everyone should touch.

“And when it all ends, and you still haven’t been able to get an offer, next day Delhi aaajana, saath mein chill karenge.. my treat!”


TL/DR :- Rigorous timed practice for aptitude. GD’s are fun if you listen. Case studies and guestimates are most important to clear the non-coding interview rounds. Can’t miss out practicing them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment